Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Thank Goodness News!

On Monday I had a doctor's appointment where I got some good news. I'm actually losing weight. For most, this wouldn't be a good thing. but for me, it is. The only problem with this is I'm losing weight because I don't want to eat. I do fine in the mornings (after the usual morning sickness) and at lunch. It's dinner that the problem. It's not that I'm not hungry, because I am. It's just that by dinner, anything I cook doesn't look good, doesn't sound good, and doesn't taste good. I try to eat some because I know I need to eat, but Ugh it's gross! Any ideas?

My doctor also told me that she rarely lets her patients go to their due date. She generally induces 1 week early. Whahoo! That's good news of course! Maybe I can talk her into 2 weeks early.

Lastly, we've, or I should say I, have been stressing over bottle feeding right from the beginning or trying to breastfeed. Now before some of you get up in arms, once I go back to work, nursing will be impossible, and my teaching schedule is not conducive to pumping. So we already know that by the time I go back to work B will be on formula. I do want her to get the nutrients from me that she needs from the beginning, but we didn't know whether or not to pump and put her on the bottle right away, or breastfeed then transition to the bottle. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

skye said...

I'll email you some bf suggestions. :)

I know it scary to not want to eat when you should be eating, but as long as your doctor isn't worried, I wouldn't worry. But maybe you could try to up the amount you eat during the other meals, either quantity-wise, or good calorie-wise. That might help make a difference.

Kierst said...

Wow! I'm excited for you. I'm sorry about the eating thing. It's hard when you don't want to eat. I remember feeling like that when I was pregnant with London and usually if I ate something like Cheerios, I felt better.
As for the pumping vs. breast thing, I don't know what to tell you. London could only take a bottle since she had a cleft palate so I pumped for 9 months. It was kind of nice because I could do it on my schedule and feed her on her schedule but I did feel like (at least in the beginning) that I was only pumping or feeding a baby ALL THE TIME. It was especially hard when she would get up to eat in the middle of the night to eat. I would be up for a long time because I would have to pump AND THEN give her a bottle. Taylor helped out with that a lot and gave her a bottle while I pumped for next time. So that's something to consider. And get a good pump. Good luck.

Kim said...

O.k., I'm totally going to sound like the birth nazi, but a dr. that almost always induces a week before a due date has questionable practices. Due date dating is not terribly accurate and baby needs all the time it needs--it'll come when it's ready. Even a week early could in effect (taking "calculations" into account) be three weeks early which can equal problems.

Beleive me, I know the idea of the baby coming early is euphoric, but at least ask her why she never waits at least until the due date. Honestly, she sounds like a dr. who doesn't want to be inconvienced with a middle of the night delivery or interupt a day off, but rather wants babies to work on her schedule, not theirs.

Now that I've got you mad at me, on to breastfeeding. As for bottle or breast, you know I always had problems with breastfeeding, but I did it anyways, four times over. Once it's time to go back to work, feed her before you leave in the morning, pump at lunch time (CA law must provide an appropriate place to pump--not a bathroom), and feed her when you get home. She may need a bottle or two of formula while you're at work, but she will still be getting a good amount of breastmilk.