Monday, January 28, 2008

Memories of a Prophet

Last night when Jayson and I learned that President Hinckley had passed away, I was truck with the thought that the president I remember most, and has had the most impact on my life was gone. While I briefly remember President Benson and President Hunter, it is President Hinkley who has had the most impact on my life.

I struggled with my testimony and church activity while I was at BYU, but I remember attending a Tuesday Devotional (the only Devotional I attended while there), and President Hinkley was the speaker. I vividly remembering standing and singing "We Thank Thee of God for a Prophet" as he entered the Marriott Center, and thinking to myself he IS a Prophet of God. There was no doubt in my mind. This feeling and knowledge was further solidified during the First Presidency Christmas Devotional that same year. My entire BYU ward was fortunate enough to be able to go to the Conference Center for the Devotional. Again, I knew without a doubt. There was no denying his Spirit and Authority.

President Hinckley was such a great man, and he did so many wonderful things. He will be truly missed. But the great thing about the Church is that the death of a prophet will not cause us to stumble. We will continue on, and the next Prophet will be just as great of a man.

1 comment:

Cindy Thomas Munksgard said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one that feels this way about President Hinckley. I remember back in 2000 when I was at Ricks, President Hinckley bore his testimony during conference and my FHE group and I thought that he was close to passing away. Boy were we wrong...but I'm so sad that he's gone. He was so cute!!